This Broccoli and Blue Cheese soup is a creamy, comforting soup with a just a bite of blue cheese that adds a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the dish. Simple enough to be made on a week night, but special enough to serve for a dinner party.
- 2 lbs Broccoli (about 2 large crowns
- 1 lb Potatoes (Golden or Yukon work best)
- 1 yellow Onion
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) Blue Cheese such as Roquefort. Stilton Cheese or Gorgonzola also work very well.
- 8 cups water (always add less at first and adjust if needed!)
- 1/2 cup Cream (heavy whipping cream - the good stuff!)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive Oil
- Wash the broccoli, cut off the stalks (discard) and separate into florets.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into large chunks.
- Peel and chop the garlic and onion into large pieces. This is your "Mise en place" or preparation.
- Turn the heat on to medium.
- In your stockpot, heat your olive oil then add the garlic and onions.
- Allow to sautée, being careful not to burn.
- Add in the broccoli and potatoes as well as 8 cups of water and the salt.
- Allow to simmer for 25 minutes until the potatoes are soft and break apart easily.
- Mix well with an immersion blender.
- Then add in the cream. Blend again.
- Finally gently stir in the blue cheese in little chunks.
- Stir so that it blends in with the soup, leaving a little blue cheese on the side to add as a garnish when serving.
- Serve with a few crumbles of blue cheese on top and a light drizzle of cream.
- Bon Appétit!
1. Do not add too much salt to this recipe! Blue Cheese is very salty and not much additional salt is needed.
2. Be very careful not to add too much water. Less is more to get that desired consistency that stays on your spoon. You can always add more water at the end
3. Add in the blue cheese at the very end and gently stir in. It will melt into the soup beautifully.
4. Save a little cheese and cream to garnish the soup when you serve - it makes for a lovely presentation.
Keywords: broccoli, blue cheese, vegetarian, soup