This French Lentil Soup recipe is surprisingly easy and quick to make. 10 minutes of prep time, 45 minutes of simmering time and you have a delicious, hearty meal in a bowl to enjoy throughout the week. Ideal for meal prep, this soup freezes very well and can be repurposed into a variety of dishes.
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
- 4 oz Pancetta or lardons ( I have also chopped up 4 slices of bacon for this recipe if I didn't have pancetta)
- 2 cups French green lentils (also known as Lentils du Puy)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1 bouillon cube (I like beef flavor for this recipe, but chicken works very well too)
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig of rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme, 1 bay leaf tied together with some cooking string)
- 8 cups of water
- Place a stock pot on medium high heat - no need to add olive oil.
- Add the pancetta and sear until the meat begins to lightly brown.
- Add the chopped garlic and yellow onion while stirring.
- Throw in the bouquet garni (by now your kitchen should smell amazing!!)
- Rinse the lentils using a fine strainer.
- When the onions become translucent, add in the carrots, the lentils and 8 cups of water.
- Once soup has heated to a soft boil, add in the bouillon cube. Give a good stir.
- Bring the heat down to a gentle simmer. Cover partially and let the soup simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water, 1 cup at a time, if you need to.
- After 45 minutes it is time to taste test! Because of the saltiness of the pancetta and the bouillon cube, I don't find that this recipe needs salt, but feel free to add some if you wish.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil or fresh grated parmesan cheese. Delicious with a fresh baked baguette, of course
- Bon Appétit!
This French Lentil Soup is also delicious as a "Soupe Passée", or cream soup. Simply add a cup of cream and mix using an immersion blender. Delicious!
Keywords: soup, soup recipe, lentil soup, soup du jour, french soup, french lentils, green lentils