A fresh, crunchy and satisfying summer salad with just 2 ingredients - raw fennel and tomatoes! The perfect side to serve with grilled meat or on its own as a light summer salad.
3 small Fennel Bulbs ( the fans cut off) Use only 2 bulbs if they are a larger size -
4 large tomatoes
For the Vinaigrette
3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (use regular balsamic if you don't have the white variety)
1/2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
Slice the fennel into thin strips (details on how to do this are in the recipe notes)
Slice the tomatoes into segments (bite sized quarters - like pieces of a orange. Slice the tomato lengthwise then slice into quarters)
Make the Vinaigrette at the bottom of your salad bowl.
Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of coarse sea salt.
Whisk vigorously until the consistency becomes viscous. (the vinaigrette will thicken slightly)
Add the tomatoes and fennel to the bowl. Toss the salad lightly with spoons to coat but not so hard as to bruise the tomatoes.
Finish off with the zeste of half a lemon and a final sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
How to slice Fennel:
1. Cut off the fennel fans an inch or so from the bulb.
2. Peel off the outer layer of the Fennel bulb (Taking two pieces off should be sufficient)
3. Slice off the base of the bulb (the bottom 1/2 inch or so)
4. Slice in half, lengthwise
5. Starting from the bottom, slice thin strips like you would if you were cutting onion strips
Keywords: summer salads, salad recipe, fennel, tomato salad, fennel and tomato salad